Friday, September 3, 2010

What's in a Title?

So, I've started sending this blog out to some friends, mostly for the enjoyment of approval and the fact that I can only read my own thoughts so many times over.  I have gotten a question back though ... "what's the title mean?"

Apparently the title has a completely unintended meaning, and that needs some back story.  For most of my life I've had issues with allergies and polyps within my nose.  I've had surgery to clean it all out, and fix my nose ... however they just come back.  For most of my life, I haven't been able to breathe through my nose or smell much of anything.  Recently, my new doctor, has had me rinsing my nose with a Neti Pot and a water/steroids solution.  It's worked tremendously ... sleeping well, breathing better, not really any issues with allergies right now, and being able to smell things.  Thus, I was asked if "An Awakening of One's Senses" pertained to me being able to smell again (by the way, look below for a pros/cons list of being able to smell again).  A fantastic question, but not what I was really going for.


The real meaning is tied to Australian tribal jewelry.  The above picture is the symbol that I've been thinking of getting as a tattoo for nearly 10 years now.  That's just a picture of the necklace charm and by using Microsoft Paint I've erased the piece that physically goes onto the chain.  If I ever decided to actually have this tattoo put on my body, then I'd get one of my friends to draw it for me.  I'm not sure why I became so enamored with this.  If it's the actual design of the intertwined moon shapes, or if it's the thought that it's tied to an awakening of one's senses.  Something has me continually come back to this one design whenever thinking about getting a tattoo.  Maybe I'm just weird.

So for all those asking, now you know ... and knowing is half the battle.  For a little extra time however here's my Pro/Con list for having my nose opened up again:

Pros:
  • Bacon smells amazing
  • Sushi
  • Easier to run/cycle, being able to breathe through my nose and mouth at the same time
  • Easier to sleep
  • Food tastes better
  • Beer tastes different (some better)
Cons:
  • Needed to buy an air freshener for my room because it smelled different
  • Some perfume/air fresheners smell weird
  • My roommate farting
  • Exhaust smells
  • Cut grass
  • Eat more because it tastes good
  • I've started to find some food or beer that tastes different than I remember, not in a good way

No comments: