Thursday, August 12, 2010

Getting Laid?

What an interesting thought.  Getting laid.  Getting laid?

I've always wondered why people put so much emphasize on getting laid.  I'm guessing it's supposed to be the yin and the yang of life?  I'm not sure.  It seems to me that people are always on the search to get laid.  "I've had sex with x number of girls" ... "Let's head out tonight and see if we can bring anyone home" ... "I did this and that and in this position with a guy I didn't really know".  I can honestly say that I've never had a girlfriend/hook up/fuck buddy for long enough to say that I was "consistently getting laid".  Even when I was getting laid, it was often sporadic and would most likely just end because 1) she decided to start traveling around the country, 2) she hated her family and was staying with different friends, 3) she found someone else and basically made me feel like I was a place holder until someone better came around, or 4) she found someone that lived in the same city she did.  However, for quite a long time now, my friend has been dating a girl that's waiting for marriage in order to have sex.  Every time there's abated breath, the thought of "well I haven't been laid for x years" comes out his mouth.  I've almost come to the realization that it's just a way to keep a conversation going. I mean, some people haven't heard the whole dynamic between the two of them.  I, on the other hand, have heard it enough times that I'm close to screaming "You're doing it to you fucking self.  If you don't like it, dump her and move on".  Obviously there's more to a relationship than sex ... at least I'm hoping so because it's been quite a long time since this friend has had sex.  There has to be something else, right?

Although, then that always leads me to my next thought ... is "getting laid" really that important?  I mean, I've gone through periods of time, at least rivaling my friend's "period of dating someone waiting for marriage" without getting laid.  Am I missing out on not continually looking to get laid?  Does that make me a bad person for not always bringing the fact I'm not getting laid up in conversation?  Does it mean that I'll just forever be by myself because I won't find someone to settle for?  If I would have continually mentioned the fact that I haven't been laid in x years ... would that have gotten me laid?  Maybe found me someone to date?  Maybe not had me create an entire paragraph of questions?

Is there a fine line between being too quiet and being an asshole?  Does announcing that I don't have a girlfriend mean there's a better chance to find a girlfriend?  I mean, is there really someone out there that thinks ... "Wow, he doesn't have a girlfriend?  Good thing he said something because I'd certainly date him."?

PS: Two posts in one day?  To be fair, one was already written, it was just a copy and paste job.

No comments: