Thursday, May 5, 2011

Maybe I cared?

"I'm not exactly sure what happened" seems to be the theme of 2011, at least so far this year for me.  There have been two big utterances of this phrase, and it's probably been used in passing at other times.

I write this morning after the Caps season has come to an end.  They played well through their first round dismantling of the New York Rangers, however never really showed up for Round 2.  Maybe it was the weather ... maybe it was a team familiar with their style ... maybe it was a hot goalie ... maybe it was a trap system.  I'm not exactly sure what happened, but getting swept from the Stanley Cup Playoffs wasn't what I envisioned.  At the end of the day, I didn't expect the Caps to win the Stanley Cup this season.  Nor will I ever expect the Caps to win the Stanley Cup.  That's for the more brazen or more entitled fan bases out there ... or even the other 85% of the Caps fans now.  It's not for me.  But maybe, just maybe, I started to care.  Maybe I made time to watch the games or maybe I cheered a little louder than I really wanted to.  Maybe I started to believe something good could actually happen.  At the end of the day though, all I did was believe in a lie.  I should have listened to my own advice.  I shouldn't have cared about an outcome that I can't control at all.  Maybe I should have just learned from what happened to me earlier in the year.  Maybe I should have realized my "she's doesn't call back" analogy was spot on.  But where's the fun in that?

No comments: