Friday, August 20, 2010

Slingbox

Well, it's set up ... I think.  There was a bit of a hiccup last night.  I got the Powerline adapters last night and went to work.  Moved the entertainment center, so I could get behind it and then set up the adapters ... one goes to the router and one goes to the Slingbox.  After about 15 seconds they were up and running ... ethernet light is on.  I even went the extra step of setting the security on the boxes, which I'm sure I wouldn't have needed anyway.  Then I moved onto setting up the Slingbox, putting all the cords in the right place, and the ethernet light is on the Slingbox too.  One more step ... setting up the Slingbox by using the website.  That's when the fun started.

I tried about 6 times ... "No Slingbox is detected on your network" ... No Slingbox!?  But the lights are on and everything.  So, out comes the laptop.  I connect it to both Powerline adapters and reset them, in order to take the security off.  That has to be the problem ... I'm sure of it.  I tried about 6 more times, on the laptop connected directly into the router, this time.  Still no Slingbox detected.  Here's where I start to panic because I've exhausted my vast knowledge of how to troubleshoot devices like this.

and then ... I did what any good troubleshooter does, reset the whole damn thing.  By holding the reset button for 5 seconds, the Slingbox went into convulsions.  Lights blinking everywhere ... a set of lights blinking that I didn't even know were on there ... and then all of the sudden, it all stopped.  I figured this was my chance, so I head back to the laptop.  Not very surprisingly that's what was needed the whole time ... apparently I needed to reset the Slingbox in order to erase all of my friend's network information. "Slingbox detected" pops up and I move onto setup.  In no time at all, I was watching my TV, on my laptop, from a room in the house without any TVs in there.  I even got it set up so I can change channels, use the guide button, and whatever else I could do sitting in my room.

Next step is to try it somewhere else and find out if I set it up correctly to watch in other places.  Hopefully I can try that out tonight, since it's pretty worthless to watch TV, on a computer, in a room without a TV ... and not just walk up the steps to actually get to my room.  Update to come on that one.

UPDATE (Friday night):  It works.  I went to my parents' house, went to the website on my mom's laptop, and started watching my TV.  My dad might be watching Fox Soccer Channel, from my house, while I'm at work.  But all is a success.  The British should be able to watch hockey now ... which is sweet for them.

UPDATE (Sunday afternoon):  Looks like I set it up correctly.  It works in England.  Great success.  

No comments: